This week was Spring Break. Since I didn't have school, I got to go to horse camp. It was so fun! I went for 5 days, and was assigned to ride a horse named Jesse. She's really cute! Horses aren't called white or brown. There are different names for the colors. White is flea-bitten gray. Jesse is that color. Brown is called chestnut, if you're talking about western. In England, they call brown sorrel. There were three riders in each group at my camp. Most of them were girls, but there were four boys. Grace and Megan were the other girls in my group. There are counselors for each group. Our counselor's name was Andrea. Her mom and dad are the owners of the stables, Sienna Stables.The first day, we learned how to groom Jesse and put her tack on. We each got a turn putting on the bridle and the saddle. And we learned how to put the halter on, and I learned how to tie a safety release knot. I practiced at home with my lasso. I rode Western that day, too. I got to go first in my group.
The second day, we rode Western, too. We each take turns riding around the arena and practicing all the things we had learned.
On the third day, we learned how to ride English. That was my first time riding on an English saddle. I really liked it! English saddles are different because they're smaller and they don't have horns. Some people think the horn is like a handle for you to hold on to, but it's really for tying the rope on, and for pulling a cow.
On the fourth day, we rode bareback and did dressage! Bareback means there's no saddle, but there are reigns. Dressage is when you ride the horse around the ring in a special pattern. You go around the X in the middle, and to the letters on the edges, in a pattern. That day, we also learned posting and two-point. Posting is when you kind of stand up in the stirrups so that when you trot, you don't get bounced around. Two-point is when you crouch over and hold onto the horse's mane, when he's jumping.
Today was the horse show! Our families got to come watch us ride in the arena. I chose to ride Western, so I got to do an obstacle course. Andrea braided Jesse's tail and put ponytails in her mane. She looked so cute! Jesse and I trotted around the edge of the ring, stepped over a pole on the ground, weaved in between cones, stepped over another pole, and weaved through more cones. Then I made Jesse stop and take three steps backwards. Then we leave the ring and everyone claps. And the best part is that I got a ribbon! I was so happy. Mommy took some pictures and a video. You can click here to see the video.









8 comments:
audrey! that looks so fun! you're so smart and know so much about horses. it's incredible! it looks like you had the funnest week.
Audrey, I use to own a white horse just like that, his name was Wishful Bey. Horse back riding is fun. I rode english, I think I liked that better :) Keep riding cowgirl!
that is so awesome, Audrey - you are a natural horse woman - I loved seeing all the photos of you and the horses.
Wow Audrey! You look like an expert! Emma says she wants to go to horse camp with you sometime.
Audrey, we are so happy that you were able to go to Horse Camp. It looked like a lot of fun. And you learned so much at the same time, and made new friends. We can't wait to come to Houston and watch you in your group lessons. We love and miss you so much! See you in Arizona a couple of weeks. Love you lots! brama and pa
I love your dark teal horse camp shirt, audrey. It looks like you had so much fun! Mabel wishes she could go to horse camp someday. We can't wait for you to come visit.
Audrey, I love to see you riding horses! You are a natural! Do you know that your great grandmother raised champion show horses? Their names were Rex Sensation, Mahogany Maid and Moon of My Delight. Ask your dad to show you pictures! I love you! Aunt Georgia
Audrey are you sure you are only 6?? You ride like a very experienced rider. Good job. Know you love it and were have such a good time. Can't wait to see you in June.
Hugs and kisses
Great Grammy
Post a Comment